Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shoe-in


Cleaning up my studio the other weekend I found a slew of old polaroid test shots. This one is practically ancient- I made it when I was 18 or 19 years old, and working towards my BFA at the San Francisco Art Institute. This image shows me that I have been looking at some of the same ideas and concepts for a long time. Expressions of weight and lightness still captivate me. Also in this photo is the notion of traces, things left behind. And also perhaps entrapment..
Will I ever tire of these themes? Am I really getting better at expressing these concepts, or is my execution simply more refined? Maybe less refinement is better.. I do like the rawness of these early images.

5 comments:

  1. Is this some kind of polaroid film? I'm in LOVE with the edges of this image! I find the shoes full of feathers quite intriguing as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gary,
    This is old 4x5 black and white film test film that was never really taken care of, and maybe not even processed properly.. probably is Polaroid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great detailed information!I will visiting more number of post.But, here is the very interesting information.Thanks for this information.


    fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what's crazy? i REMEMBER THIS PHOTO!!!

    ReplyDelete