Saturday, April 10, 2010

I Reviewed Myself and it Was Harsh


I decided to pretend that instead of dispensing advice that is meant to be helpful to another photographer or artist (as I often do), that I myself was on the other side of the table facing me. In short, this is what I told myself:

You have a lot of good ideas but you aren't taking the work seriously enough. I'm sorry that you are a stressed, overworked single mom, but that is no excuse. Are you going to do this right, or not?

The answer was the scary part. I just don't know. I'm not sure how to get over the obstacles to doing it right. I feel like I'm carrying the embers of my work around, and barely keeping them lit- to use a tired metaphor. I'm trying so hard just to keep the work alive, until I can find a place in life where it will thrive. Now I have to go find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment