Friday, July 16, 2010

My Eye


Yesterday at the McBurney YMCA I was swimming along minding my own business when a giant muscle bound guy decided for whatever reason to swim against the pattern and ran right into me- knocking my goggles off and cutting the skin right under my eye and on my eyelid. Bleeding and stunned, I made my way to the side of the pool and filled out a useless "accident report" and applied an ice pack. During all this the dude (not a very good swimmer, of course) continued to swim as if nothing had happened. Before leaving I went over and stopped him. This was the conversation:

Me: "You got me pretty good.."
Dude: "What do you want me to do about it?"
Me: "How about an apology?"
Dude: "That has happened to me dozens of times and no one has ever apologized to me."
Me: "So everyone else has bad manners so it's OK for you to have bad manners too?"
Dude: "I'm born and raised in NY, this is the way we do it, baby."
Me: "Well, that's something to be proud of."
Dude: swims off

Sigh.
Sometimes I just hate New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment