Sunday, February 22, 2009

Forest for the Trees


I went to a marathon speeding dating event last night at Manhattan club called Duvet. I met thirty five men in a series of three minute dates. By the end I felt as if I was working for the Census Bureau.
I met Christopher the fireman, Amir from France via Chicago, Evans the electrical engineer, Joseph who teaches at an ivy league college, plays the tuba and does side work as an Abe Lincoln look-alike.
There was Juan from Colombia, bespectacled Laxman the "double engineer", the musician Lee, James with dreads and reflective sunglasses, David the Akita owner, blonde Nick from Ohio, Jar who loves oatmeal cookies, Koko the wrestler, Lucian the high school teacher, Daniel the guidance counselor, Brian who likes to order around the interns, Scott the lawyer from Virginia, Alastiar the ivy league professor, Ari the anesthesiologist, Neil the high school principal, and many more.
The variety and level of specificity was stunning. I was overwhelmed. I will select no one from this event to see again. I feel like I'm watching entire subway cars filled with available men going by, and I just don't care. I think this will be the last time I try an experiment like this.
This photo of mine shows tree shapes in sugar, made a few years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment