Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gerhard Richter




Gerhard Richter came to mind as I shot my candle images. I love these candle paintings but not as much as the iceberg landscape painting. According the the sales history on the official Richter website, this painting "Candle", sold for $1,039,212 at Christie's London.

"Iceberg in Mist" is one of my all-time favorite paintings. I saw it in person in a vast retrospective at MOMA in NYC. This one was small, only 70 cm x 100 cm, but it had Presence. I stood in front of it sketching and staring, trying to put my finger on what I loved so much about it. It has something to do with mass and volume- and of course the fog that both defines and obscures. There was no sales history given for this painting, only its exhibition record.

Images courtesy of Gerhard Richter

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for GR images of the candle this evening, to send to a friend in Japan, as a symbol of hope during this troubling time there (and everywhere). It just came to me this evening how appropriate the candle is as a symbol at this moment when many there have nothing for warmth, or light, or hope. So, I"m sending this along to her.

    Why I found your site for this image, I do not know. But the iceberg seems appropriate too.

    ReplyDelete