Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hedcuts

I had my photo taken this past week at The Wall Street Journal photo studio, to be the basis of one of those famous WSJ woodcut/prints, called hedcuts by those working on the pages. Which is partly why I was caught unprepared for the photo shoot.. Also my own head was spinning around all week from trying to learn the new systems and just finding my way around the building. The purpose of the hedcut is for when I start doing some blogging for the Journal. Which I hope will be soon. My blogging fingers have been itching since I left Visual Science.

At any rate, pretty exciting. However, I had forgotten how soul-crushing midtown is. Actually, I didn't forget. I just forgot what that crushed soul really feels like. The Wall Street Journal shares the building with Fox News, so there is the additional tension of feeling like you are rubbing elbows daily with the enemy. Fox News plays in the elevators, so at any point you can be subject to a crazed right winger, foaming at the mouth and denouncing science.

The photo below was made with paper, held at varying distance from the lens. Another one from my landscape period. I have been shooting new work, but I won't be able to post it until I can sort out a new scanner.

No comments:

Post a Comment